Have you found the perfect apartment but it’s not quite as roomy as you hoped? Don’t walk away yet!
A small place picked up and organized can give the illusion of being larger than it is. Smaller apartments encourage less clutter and oftentimes require a lower rent. Here are eight hacks to help your space look well-kept and uncluttered:
- Have a designated spot to put your stuff when you get home. Clear this space off before you leave again to avoid seeing clutter the minute you walk in the door. If you carry a purse or tote bags, always put them where they belong.
- Use a stylish cube organizer to keep like-things together. This also works well for things that don’t stack well. Everything looks neat in a cube!
- Make your bed, or keep your bedroom door closed.
- Have a junk drawer (just one!) and clean it out each season. Find a new home for the things you want to keep and donate or recycle the rest.
- Don’t let newspapers and magazines pile up. After you read it, share it with a friend or put it in your recycle bin.
- Wash the dishes or put them in the dishwasher. Don’t go to bed or leave the apartment with dirty dishes in the sink. And never leave them on the counter!
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and work fast to get as much put away and organized as you can. (This is a great hack to get your daily steps in, too!)
- Make every day laundry day. Keep your dirty clothes sorted in baskets, ready for washing. When you get enough for a load, wash it, dry it, fold or hang, and put it all away.
With the habit of doing a little bit every day, you’ll keep your apartment neat and organized – a home to be proud of.
Written By Melanie Olsen